Slow Computer and Home Improvement Saturday

Author: MiniBullyMom aka Laura B. // Category: , , ,
It was "Home Improvement" day at the Burress house yesterday. We divided our time between reformatting my laptop and working on a couple "home improvement" projects. We spent most of yesterday ripping out the toilet and putting in a new one. The old one turned out to be the original toilet from when they built the house. The supply line was "copper" and we had to add a flange to anchor the new toilet to the floor with...the old one had four bolts coming out of the floor that held it in place. We also put a electronic, keyless deadbolt on the front door so we don't have to worry about the kids losing their stormdoor key anymore. We can't unlock our front door from the outside because it's the original (1946) hardware and they can't make a key for it without taking the whole thing apart and taking it to the locksmith. Luckily we have a good solid storm door that locks. It's wasn't infallible but was basically one more step a burglar would have to go through then get past the alarm system. Now Mike can quit worrying about us when he is at work and we both will rest easier when the kids are home alone.

In between runs to the hardware store and working on the toilet and deadbolt we reformatted my laptop. I spent the morning transferring files to the EHD and figuring out what programs I was going to need to reinstall and which I really didnt' need. After we got it reformatted I remembered that I needed to find my PSE 5 disk so I could reinstall it. This didn't stress me out at first because Mike figured it had to be around here somewhere, well after we got thinking about it we realized it was missing.

Normally it wouldn't be an issue because I'd just go buy another copy off ebay (I don't need to have the newest version and would be happy with PSE 5 again) We looked on ebay and he suggested getting PSE7 but I got looking at the requirements and it would use up all my RAM which I wasn't willing to give up and don't want to go buy more RAM at the moment. But this morning my hubby came through, he found the copy of Photoshop 7 for me. I have been using Photoshop Elements 5 so I figured it was close enough and I could manage to get my layout done. He got a copy of it way back I was just getting the digital bug. Back then instead of going on a digiscrap kit downloading spree I went on a bookshopping spree. We had three different Photoshop 7 books laying around. Back then I ended up using Elements instead of the Photoshop 7 program because Hummiesworld had great tutorials for PSE and I couldn't find any that were geared towards using Photoshop for scrapbooking.

Long story short...it's 4:41pm and after 3 1/2 hours of working in PS7 I completed challenge #11 for ADSR 4....YAHOO!!! I've posted it below. Thank goodness it was a fairly easy one...we were limited to one photo and the journaling was limited to one question and you couldn't answer the question with the journaling. No other journaling or words other than the question. I decided to use a photo of my great-uncle Ed and his garden. After finishing the layout I've come to the conclusion that Photoshop 7.0 is a little different than PSE 6 but I can work around the quirks and will probably like it better in the end. Since I have the books for it I will probably be able to do way more (if I was so inclined) than I ever could have done with PSE.

Now that I have challenge #11 done and #12 won't come out for a day or so(and both aren't due until Sunday) I get to tackle some serious tagging in ACDSee. When we reformatted I completely spaced of backing up the database. This is the second time I've accidentally deleted the tags. The last time I did it was last summer and it wasn't that hard of a project because I cleared out alot of freebies that I didn't use. So it's going to be another "clean out and tag weekend for me. Doesn't that sound like soooo much fun. It also means I can reorganize the categories in ACDSee. This time around I've decided to sort papers by color only not colors and patterns.

You know what....I just realized that we didnt' take any photos of the guys working yesterday!! What kind of scrapbooker am I?


0 Responses to "Slow Computer and Home Improvement Saturday"

Post a Comment