The challenge and art of clustering

Author: MiniBullyMom aka Laura B. // Category: , , ,
Okay...clusters of photos are easy for me. Yet there is a clustering technique that I'm finding very challenging even after several tries. I really admire those layouts that have a cluster of flowers, leaves, ephemra, ribbon and such but I'm having a hard time with mastering it. I'm pretty sure it's a style that you can't just take a class called "The Principles of Clustering Elements" at your favorite digiscrapping site. But it seems to be one of those techniques that just come with practice or study of layouts where someone used it and it caught your eye. I've posted simple credits but due to the volume of designers and items used I'm not including actual links. I've attempted it a couple of times. Once was basically a premade cluster from that I added a couple of elements to.
Credits: End of Summer Kit by Melissa Daniel and Neverland Scraps
Photo Frame: Iced Mocha Divine Digital Feb 2008 Collab Kit
Bracket Mats & Grey Mat: DivineDigital Birthday Kit
Burgundy Mat: I Just Love Her Kit by Royanna Fritschman from DivineDigital.com
Alpha: Antique Alpha by LBCreations from JustForTheScrapOfIt.com
Font: Pea Olson from KevinAndAmanda.com

My second attempt was an ADSR 4 Challenge where we had to scraplift a layout that inspired us. I found a layout that had clustering and didn't copy it per se but used it as a guideline. So even though I created the cluster by myself I used another layout as a guide. Here is the link to the original layout . Here is my version:
Digital Kit:Feeling Lucky designed by Royanna Fritschmann
Word Art:Express Yourself designed by Ronna Penner
Star Swirls:Some Gave All designed by Heather Manning
Circle Stitching:O So Thankful designed by Anita Steriou
Stitched Flower Border:Road Less Traveled designed by Theresa Hernandez

On Sunday I created one where I used a background paper that had a "cluster" as part of it already. I "enlarged" the cluster and "expanded upon it" so to speak. Although I used a ton of elements in making it I really don't consider it an original quite yet because the background paper was my inspiration and guide.
Background Paper, Flower Clusters, Frame:designed by Eirene_07 for the Digital Scrapbook Day 08 Treasure Hunt
Matting Papers: Boys Rule designed by Melissa Daniels
Envelope, Yellow Ribbon Curl and Angel Stamp: Imagination Collab Kit from Digitals
items designed by Tallula Moon, Kathryn Estry, Beth Rimmer
Gold Charm: The Vintage Gypsy designed by Stacey Crossley
Blue Clock Brad: Angel by Royanna Fritschmann
Notebook Paper: Simplement Maryse designed by Maryse Vincent
Heart Charm:designed by Bel Vidotti Scraps for the Twisted Convoy Valentine Convoy
Raindrops: designed by Booland Scraps for the Christmas Around The World 2008 Kit
Victorian Bookmark: from TwistedPapers.com

So the next step in my journey to master "clustered layouts" will be doing one completely from scratch. But I think I'll continue "practicing" like I have been. After all.....practice makes perfect!

4 Responses to "The challenge and art of clustering"

Dania Says :
March 3, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Good for you on taking the time to learn a new technique! :-) I'm horrible at clustering and could take a lesson or two....

Tami Says :
March 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Very cool pages! I love the scrapbook and don't always have the time for it. I am beginning to do more digital. I am going to try this. Thanks for the great tips!

sherriejd Says :
March 5, 2009 at 6:02 AM

i love your layouts. would you consider being on my CT? check out my store: http://scraporchard.com/market/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=32

sherriejd Says :
March 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM

HI Laura, my CT members are allowed to create anything they want! My requirements are pretty loose, i require 3 layouts a month or 4 ATCs cuz they are smaller, but i don't really keep track. CT members get access to all my current products plus any new products that come out and it's just all on the honor system.

sorry about commenting here, but i couldn't figure out how to reply to the comment you left me at my blog ROFL. If you would like to send me an email i can be reached at sherriejd AT thedrummonds DOT com.

Post a Comment